On 13 May 2019, the European Commission launched a call for experts to join future Mission Boards, which will advise the Commission for the identification and implementation of missions in Horizon Europe, the next EU research and innovation programme.
There will be five Mission Boards, one for each of the following areas:
- Adaptation to climate change including societal transformation;
- Healthy oceans, seas, coastal and inland waters;
- Climate-neutral and smart cities;
- Soil health and food.
Each of the Mission Boards will consists of up to 15 members appointed for a period up to 18 months. These Mission Boards members shall meet 4 times per year (minimum) to identify and design one or more specific missions for each of the above-mentioned mission areas, in consultation with stakeholders and citizens.
Potential Mission Board members are individual, high-level experts in one the following sectors (with relevance to the respective mission area):
- Industry, innovation and business;
- Academia and research institutions;
- Policy makers and practitioners;
- End-users and key stakeholders.